If you are searching for the approach to Rename SQL Server Database, then in this article, we’ll guide you on how to Rename a SQL Server Database without any issue.
One of my colleagues has to change name of their SQL Server Database, but he doesn’t know how to do it. Well renaming a SQL Server Database is not that complicated as one may think. If the user performs the procedure correctly then, he can easily rename it. But before proceeding with the procedure one should know some points in their mind. So far you know you have to cover a lot of things but don’t worry. Here, In this article, we’ll guide you all these things in brief. So that user can change SQL Server with ease.
So, let’s start the article with the things you must know. In this, we have to perform two steps-
- Regulate the database to single user-mode
- Rename the SQL Server Database
Free Manual Tricks to Rename SQL Server Database:
- Regulate Database to Single — User Mode
When the renaming process is going on then, the user can opt for the database to single-user mode. By doing this, the user can close any open connections and can block or stop other users from connecting to the database. So that the renaming process can proceed smoothly. Users should use the prerequisites that are mentioned below before moving to set the database to single-user mode:
They also verify that the option AUTO_UPDATE_STATISTICS_ASYNC is set OFF. If the option is set to ON, then the user can’t get access to the database in single-user mode. This can be because of the background thread used to update statistics set up a connection with the database).
2. Through this method, users can use these steps to set the database in single-user mode. These are:
- Set-up a connection with the Database Engine.
- On the standard bar, choose New Query.
- In the query window, type the code in the given below syntax and tap Execute.
WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE;
Finally, You’ve set the database in single-user mode successfully through Transact-SQL.
b) Try SQL Server Management Studio
These are some instructions that the user must follow to set database in Single-User mode through Server Management Studio:
- First, open Object Explorer then, connect and expand an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine.
- Now, choose the database, right-tap, and tap on Properties.
- After that, tap on the Options page in the Database Properties.
- Then, from the Restrict Access option choose Single.
- In case, other users are connected with the database then the message Open Connections will display.
If the user wants to alter the property, then close other connections and tap Yes.
By doing this, the user has set the database to single-user mode through SQL Server Management Studio
Points to Remember:
To rename SQL Server, users should know that there are some limitations, Restrictions, and Security Permissions related to the task. Thus, users should take care of these things before renaming the SQL Server. Users can opt for either SQL Server Management Studio or Transact-SQL for renaming a SQL Server Database. Here, we have covered both methods one by one. So let’s move further and view the limitations and restrictions.
Limitations & Restrictions
Some of the limitations & restrictions of the task for renaming a SQL Server database are:
- If the user renames a database in Azure SQL Database, then he must verify that no users are connected to that database.
- One cannot Rename a system database.
- If a user is accessing the SQL Server database then he is not allowed for Database renaming. And if the users want to close any open connection in the database, then set the database in single-user mode.
If one wants to perform some particular tasks on the SQL Server database. Then, the user should allot with specific permissions. Thus, one requires the SQL Server database name ALTER permission to rename.
2. Rename the SQL Server Database
a)Try SQL Server Management Studio
Once the user understands the terms and conditions of the limitations & restrictions and security permissions. Also, he has set the database in single-user mode then can proceed to the renaming stage.
These steps will help the user to rename a SQL Server or Azure SQL Server through SQL Server Management Studio:
- First, open Object Explorer and set-up a connection with a SQL instance.
- Users must verify that no other users get connected to the database. Or, he can opt for the above method to set the SQL Server Database in Single-User mode.
- Now, expand Databases in Object Explorer.
- After that, choose the database to rename, right-tap on it, and tap Rename.
- Finally, assign the database with a new name and tap Ok.
Here the user has renamed the SQL Server database via SQL Server Management Studio.
b) Try Transact-SQL
Users can also try this method as it not only will help in renaming the SQL Server Database using T-SQL. But, also guide the user to set the database in single-user mode. Once the process of renaming is done then, place the database back in multi-user mode.
These steps will help the user to rename the SQL Server database. These are-
- Firstly, set up a connection with the master database.
- Now, launch or start a query window.
- Finally, Type the code (in the given syntax) in the query window and tap Execute.
ALTER DATABASE SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
ALTER DATABASE MODIFY NAME = ;
ALTER DATABASE SET MULTI_USER
Now, the process of Database renaming or rename SQL Server Database is completed successfully. This whole process involves setting the database in single-user mode and once the database gets renaming, then again move to multi-user mode via Transact-SQL.
These were methods are simple to approach still the user is unable to perform it then it indicates the presence of corrupt SQL files. Users are required to repair these SQL files first. They can repair these files by using alternative tools such as SQL Recovery Tool. This software can repair corrupt MDF and NDF files of SQL Server databases. The software is compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, 2003, XP, and 2000.
Users must have all the information to rename SQL Server Database correctly. As if one tries to do this without knowing then things will get more complicated than ever before. Users can use the methods if there is corruption.in files then use the alternative tool. It is the best utility to perform the repairing of the corrupt files.